Student-Athlete Advisory Committee
What is SAAC?
As defined by the NCAA, The Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, also known as SACC, was designed to:
- Provide insight on the student-athlete experience;
- Offer input on the rules, regulations and policies that affect student-athletes' lives on NCAA member institution campuses and;
- Assist in the review of NCAA proposed legislation
In short, SAAC represents the voice of the student-athlete in the NCAA governance structure.
Mission and Goals
The Columbus State University Athletic Department takes great pride in the accomplishments and contributions of its Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. SAAC on the campus of Columbus State commits to…
- Promote communication between student-athletes and CSU athletic administrators;
- Provide feedback and insight into department issues, team concerns, etc.;
- Provide a student-athlete voice within the CSU athletic department and the formulation of policies;
- Foster a sense of community among all CSU athletic teams;
- Solicit student-athlete responses to proposed Peach Belt Conference and NCAA legislation;
- Organize and implement community outreach events;
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation on campus-wide committees (e.g. Student Government Association, etc.) and;
- Promote a positive student-athlete image on the CSU campus.
Furthermore, SAAC has set goals that will serve as the core and main focus of any service project planning or implementation:
- To increase support and camaraderie among individual sports;
- To increase involvement and support for the student body;
- To increase involvement and activity within the Columbus community and;
- To reconnect with Alumni and donors
SAAC is comprised of student-athlete representatives from Columbus State University’s 16 varsity sports. Each team has one rep, at minimum, serving on SAAC. In addition to fulfilling the Committee’s obligations and goals, a major responsibility for each delegate lies in communicating with fellow team members. The voting members of SAAC shall establish and maintain open channels of communication with their teammates, and all student-athletes, in order to appropriately express concerns relevant to student-athletes.
The fundraising efforts of CSU’s SAAC, as an NCAA Division II member, go toward the Make-A-Wish® Foundation of Georgia and Alabama. With each event planned, we will hold close the importance of doing our part to raise funds for such a wonderful organization. Events have been planned for each season of the year to bring our campus and community together for a great cause. We are proud to help “share the power of a wish…”