Cougars Set to Battle No.3 Augusta State
- Augusta State enters the game as the No.3 team in the country, matching their best start in school history through 19 games, tying a record set in the 1969-70 season. The Jaguars are also the No. 2 team in the NCAA Southeast Region.
- ASU currently has a 40 game winning streak at home, including 28 in a row in PBC games.
- Augusta has a perfect 9-0 mark at home this season.
- The lone setback on the year for the Jaguars was a 76-70 overtime loss at Flagler on January 5th.
- Since falling to Flagler, Augusta State has won seven in a row, winning by an average of 7.4 points during the streak that includes four wins by four points or less.
- In their most recent action, Augusta State took down No.18 Georgia Southwestern 68-59 Thursday evening.
- Offensively the Jaguars are led by a pair of seniors in George Johnson and Franck Ndongo. Johnson leads the team in scoring at 16.2 points per game and has connected on over 47 percent from the floor and over 42 percent from three-point range on the year. Ndongo a 6-foot-7 forward from Cameroon comes in averaging13.0 points/game while also leading the team in rebounds at 7.4 per game.
- As a team, Augusta State averages 72.2 points per game and is shooting 46.6 percent from the floor through 19 games. The Jaguars also shoot 40 percent from three-point range.
- ASU has been stellar from the free-throw line as well, knocking down nearly 80 percent so far. They have out-rebounded the opposition 630-574 on the year.
- Defensively, the Jaguars allow only 59.8 points per game which ranks second in the Peach Belt and opponents are shooting right at 40 percent from the floor. ASU averages 6.9 steals per game while forcing over 14 turnovers a night.
LAST TIME OUT
- Columbus State snapped a two game losing streak taking down Lander 85-77 on Thursday night.
- The Cougars trailed for less than a minute against the Bearcats and led by as many as 19 improving their record to 4-4 in PBC play.
- Thursday's win also improved CSU's record away from home to 2-3 this season and 2-1 in conference games.
- CSU is now 5-3 in the month of January after posting a mark of 2-4 in December.
- The 85 points scored against Lander marks the fifth time that CSU has reached the 80 point plateau this year and ties for the second highest point total of the year, matching an 85 point performance at West Florida on December 15th.
Columbus State (8-9, 4-4) at No.3 Augusta State (18-1, 8-1)
Site: Christenberry Fieldhouse (2,216)
Date: Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011
City: Augusta, GA
Time: 3:30 PM
Radio: Magic 101.3 FM (Scott Miller)
Live Stats: csucougars.com
Overall: Columbus State leads 38-30
At Augusta State: Augusta State leads 15-12
Last Meeting: Augusta State, 72-59 at CSU, 2009-10
Streak: CSU has lost seven of the past eight meetings, including four in a row at ASU