Cougar Netters Eliminated at PBC Tournament in 5-0 Setback to AASU
Jonesboro, GA - Eighth-ranked Columbus State dropped three tightly-contested doubles matches to top-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State on Saturday at the Peach Belt Conference Tournament and could not recover, falling 5-0 in the semifinal round. AASU advances to Sunday's PBC final, while CSU now awaits word on an NCAA regional berth.
Paul Bishop and Mikk Irdoja squeaked past Luis Gonzalez and Frank Suarez at number one doubles by a 9-7 score, and AASU posted identical 8-5 wins in the other two matches to gain a big advantage. Eudaldo Bonet then defeated Suarez 6-3, 6-4 at number one singles, and Rafael Array defeated Paul van Rensburg 6-0, 6-0 at number five to close out the match.
Here are the full match results:
1. #2 Eudaldo Bonet (AASU) def. #16 Frank Suarez (CSUM) 6-3, 6-4
2. #23 Paul Bishop (AASU) vs. #32 Dimitri Caron (CSUM) unfinished
3. #25 Mikk Irdoja (AASU) vs. Nemanja Djuric (CSUM) unfinished
4. Paul Fitzgerald (AASU) vs. Diego Motivar (CSUM) unfinished
5. Rafael Array (AASU) def. Paul van Rensburg (CSUM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Tim Johannsen (AASU) vs. Luis Gonzalez (CSUM) unfinished
1. #5 Paul Bishop/Mikk Irdoja (AASU) def. #8 Luis Gonzalez/Frank Suarez (CSUM) 9-7
2. #10 Rafael Array/Tim Johannsen (AASU) def. Dimitri Caron/Paul van Rensburg (CSUM) 8-5
Columbus State 16-5; National ranking #8; Regional ranking #3
Armstrong Atlantic 23-1; National ranking #1; Regional ranking #1
Related Item: Box Score