No. 13 Columbus State Men's Tennis Defeats No. 26 USC Aiken 9-0
Aiken, SC – The No. 13 Columbus State men's tennis team continued their great play as they defeated No. 26 USC Aiken 9-0 Friday afternoon at the USC Aiken Tennis Complex in Aiken, South Carolina. The Cougars now stand at 10-2 and 3-2 inside Peach Belt Conference play while the Pacers drop to 7-6 and 1-5 in conference action.
In doubles action, No. 12 Christophe Noblet and Gordan Divljak played a tight match against the No. 14 pair in the nation in Gregory Andrade and Bruno Orlandini but came away with a 9-8 victory. The tandem of Martin Shishkov and Filip Cojbasic defeated Lucas Gobbi and Josh Rees 8-3. In the finals doubles match of the afternoon, Hendrik Paetzel and Andre Mordhorst ousted Ben Klaas and Kyle Sprow 8-4.
In singles action, No. 52 Christophe Noblet upset No. 38 Andrade 6-2, 6-3. Gordan Divljak won his match 6-0, 6-1 over Klass while Martin Shiskov took down Gobbi 6-4, 6-2. Andre Mordhorst played the first three-set match of the day as he defeated Orlandini 7-6, 3-6, 10-7. In the next three-set match, Olivier Simonet outlasted Rees 3-6, 7-6, 10-6. In final match of the day, Danilo Sardelli took down Kyle Sprow 6-0, 6-3.
CSU will return to the court on Wednesday, March 30 as they host Augusta State. The first match is set for 1:00 p.m. at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center on the campus of Columbus State University.
1. #52 Christophe Noblet (CSU) def. #38 Gregory Andrade (USCA) - 6-2, 6-3
2. Gordan Divljak (CSU) def. Ben Klaas (USCA) – 6-0 6-1
3. Andre Mordhorst (CSU) def. Bruno Orlandini (USCA) - 7-6, 3-6, 10-7
4. Martin Shishkov (CSU) def. Lucas Gobbi (USCA) - 6-4, 6-2
5. Olivier Simonet (CSU) def. Josh Rees (USCA) - 3-6, 7-6, 10-6
6. Danilo Sardelli (CSU) def. Kyle Sprow (USCA) – 6-0, 6-3
1. #12 Noblet and Divljak (CSU) def. #14 Andrade and Orlandini (USCA) - 9-8
2. Shishkov and Cojbasic (CSU) def. Gobbi and Rees (USCA) - 8-3
3. Hendrik Paetzel and Mordhorst (CSU) def. Klaas and Sprow (USCA) - 8-4