Columbus – The No. 13 Columbus State men's tennis team defeated their highest ranked opponent this season taking down No. 11 Lander University 6-3 Saturday morning in a Peach Belt Conference match at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center. With the victory, CSU improves to 13-3 on the season and 6-2 inside the PBC while LU drops to 16-3 and 7-2 in conference action.
In doubles action, No. 7 Christophe Noblet and Gordan Divljak defeated Paul-Henri Arrigoni and Carlos Marques 8-2 to give the Cougars the first victory of the day. Filip Cojbasic and Martin Shishkov won second doubles for CSU just edging Christopher Mattson and Oscar Perman of LU 8-6. Pasqual Duttlinger and Andre Mordhorst gave Columbus State the sweep in doubles action defeating Henrik Willers and Oscar Axelsson 8-3.
In singles action, No. 42 Christophe Noblet took No. 5 Arrigoni to three-sets but eventually fell 7-6, 3-6, 6-1. Willers made the match very interesting as he defeated Gordan Diviljak 7-5, 6-3. With CSU needing a victory, Pasqual Duttlinger took down Marques in straight sets 6-3, 6-4. Andre Mordhorst clinched the upset for the Cougars as he won his match over Perman 6-4, 6-1. In fifth singles, Martin Shishkov defeated Axelsson 6-4, 6-3. The Bearcats won the final match of the day as Mattson defeated Danilo Sardelli 6-3, 6-2.
Columbus State will play their final regular season match on Monday, April 11 as they host Augusta State. The first match is set to begin at 2:00 p.m. at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center on the campus of Columbus State University.
1. #5 Paul-Henri Arrigoni (LU) def. #42 Christophe Noblet (CSU) - 7-6, 3-6, 6-1
2. Henrik Willers (LU) def. Gordan Divljak (CSU) – 7-5, 6-3
3. Pasqual Duttlinger (CSU) def. Carlos Marques (LU) – 6-3, 6-4
4. Andre Mordhorst (CSU) def. Oscar Perman (LU) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Martin Shishkov (CSU) def. Oscar Axelsson (LU) – 6-4, 6-3
6. Christopher Mattson (LU) def. Danilo Sardelli (CSU) – 6-3, 6-2
1. #7 Noblet and Divljak (CSU) def. Arrigoni and Marques (LU) - 8-2
2. Cojbasic and Shishkov (CSU) def. Mattson and Perman (LU) - 8-6
3. Duttlinger and Mordhorst (CSU) def Willers and Axelsson (LU) - 8-3