No. 13 Columbus State Men’s Tennis Handles No. 20 Augusta State 5-2
Columbus – The No. 13 Columbus State men's tennis team wrapped up their regular season defeating No. 20 Augusta State 5-2 Monday afternoon in a Peach Belt Conference match at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center. Columbus State will head into the PBC Tournament with a 14-3 record and 7-2 inside conference play while ASU now has a 14-7 mark and are 3-6 in PBC action.
In doubles action, No. 7 Christophe Noblet and Gordan Divljak defeated 13th ranked tandem of Bernardo Fernandes and Henrique Boturao 8-4 in a top 15 match-up to give the Cougars the first victory of the day. The Jaguars struck back however, winning the next two matches. In second doubles, Victor Cabellos and Victor Guimarraes defeated the Cougar pair of Filip Cojbasic and Martin Shishkov 8-5. Pasqual Duttlinger and Andre Mordhorst just fell short in third doubles as they lost 9-8 to Jenner Stevenson and Maxime Coulomb.
In singles action, No. 42 Christophe Noblet continued his good play on the season as he upset No. 22 Fernandes 6-1, 6-2 to pull Columbus State even with ASU. The Cougars took control of the match as Gordan Divljak defeated Boturao in three-sets 2-6, 6-4, 6-0. Pasqual Duttlinger added another victory for CSU in third singles taking down Cabellos 6-3, 6-2. Olivier Simonet clinched the match for the Cougars as he defeated Stevenson 6-1, 6-1. With the match already in hand, Andre Mordhorst and Martin Shiskov did not finish their matches. However, Mordhorst won the first set over Guimarraes and Shiskov was leading his match 5-4 over Jan Labas in the first set when play was called off.
Columbus State will now turn their attention to the Peach Belt Conference Tournament which begins on Friday, April 15 in Augusta. The tournament will conclude on Sunday, April 17.
1. #42 Christophe Noblet (CSU) def. #22 Bernardo Fernandes (ASU) – 6-1, 6-2
2. Gordan Divljak (CSU) def. Henrique Boturao (ASU) – 2-6, 6-4, 6-0
3. Pasqual Duttlinger (CSU) def. Victor Cabellos (ASU) – 6-3, 6-2
4. Andre Mordhorst (CSU) leading Victor Guimarraes (ASU) - unfinished 6-1, 1-2
5. Martin Shishkov (CSU) leading Jan Labas (ASU) – unfinished 5-4
6. Olivier Simonet (CSU) def. Jenner Stevenson (ASU) – 6-1, 6-1
1. #7 Noblet and Divljak (CSU) def. #13 Fernandes and Boturao (ASU) - 8-4
2. Cabellos and Guimarraes (ASU) def. Cojbasic and Shishkov (CSU) - 8-5
3. Stevenson and Maxime Coulomb (ASU) def. Duttlinger and Mordhorst (CSU) - 9-8