No. 13 Columbus State Men’s Tennis Sweeps by Francis Marion Into PBC Semifinals
Columbus – The No. 13 Columbus State men's tennis team continued their great play into the postseason as the Cougars defeated Francis Marion 5-0 in the quarterfinals of the Peach Belt Conference Tournament Friday evening in Augusta, GA. With the victory, the Cougars improve their record to 15-3 and advance to the semifinals of the PBC Tournament while Francis Marion falls to 10-7.
In doubles action, No. 7 Christophe Noblet and Gordan Divljak defeated the tandem of Alex Caspari and Karl Rogers in a tightly contested 9-8 match. Second doubles was no different as Filip Cojbasic and Martin Shishkov edged past Oshada Wijemanne and Jack Bishop 8-6 for the CSU victory. The Cougars completed the sweep in doubles play as Pasqual Duttlinger and Andre Mordhorst defeated Dirk Blair and Tim Rupke 8-2.
In singles action, Pasqual Duttlinger defeated Rupke 6-1, 6-0 in straight sets at third singles. Needing only one win to clinch the match, Andre Mordhorst defeated Bishop 6-2, 6-1 giving Columbus State the victory over the Patriots. With the match in hand, Christophe Noblet, Gordan Divljak, Martin Shishkov and Olivier Simonet did not finish their matches.
Columbus State will continue in the Peach Belt Tournament tomorrow evening as the Cougars will take on top ranked Armstrong Atlantic in Augusta. The semifinal match will begin at 5:00 p.m.
1. #42 Christophe Noblet (CSU) vs. #8 Oshada Wijemanne (FMU)-unfinished
2. Gordan Divljak (CSU) vs. Alex Caspari (FMU) – unfinished
3. Pasqual Duttlinger (CSU) def. Tim Rupke (FMU) – 6-1, 6-0
4. Andre Mordhorst (CSU) def. Jack Bishop (FMU) - 6-2, 6-1
5. Martin Shishkov (CSU) vs. Karl Rogers (FMU) – unfinished
6. Olivier Simonet (CSU) vs. Tanguy Montoisy (FMU) – unfinished
1. #7 Noblet and Divljak (CSU) def. #18 Caspari and Rogers (FMU) - 9-8
2. Cojbasic and Shishkov (CSU) def. Wijemanne and Bishop (FMU) - 8-6
3. Duttlinger and Mordhorst (CSU) def. Blair and Rupke (FMU) - 8-2