Sweet 16 Bound as No. 13 Columbus State Defeats No. 11 Lander 5-0 in the Southeast Regional Final
Columbus – The No. 13 Columbus State men's tennis team is returning to the Sweet 16 for the second straight year as the Cougars defeated No. 11 Lander University 5-0 in the NCAA Southeast Regional Bracket #2 final played at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center in Columbus. With the victory, CSU now stands at a 17-4 mark while LU ends their season with a 17-5 record.
In doubles action, Andre Mordhorst and Pasqual Duttlinger made quick work of Carlos Marques and Ross Armstrong 8-2 in third doubles. Filip Cojbasic and Martin Shishkov built a nice advantage in second doubles and then held on to win the match over Henrik Willers and Oscar Axelsson 8-6. No. 7 Christophe Noblet and Gordan Divljak won their 12th straight match as they completed the CSU sweep in doubles defeating Paul-Henri Arrigoni and Oscar Perman 8-4 in first doubles.
In singles action, Pasqual Duttlinger played amazing as he took down Carlos Marques 6-1, 6-1 in third singles to give CSU the 4-0 advantage. Andre Mordorst clinched the match for the Cougars as he defeated Oscar Perman in straight sets, 6-4, 6-4. Gordan Divljak was up in his match 6-4, 5-4 against Henrik Willers when play was called off. In fifth and sixth singles, Martin Shishkov and Olivier Simonet both dropped very entertaining and competitive first sets in tiebreaker fashion. No. 42 Christophe Noblet loss his first set 6-3 to No. 5 Paul-Henri Arrigoni but was leading the second set 4-3 when the Cougars clinched the match
Columbus State will now head to Altamonte Springs, Florida as they will be one of only 16 teams left vying for the Division II National Championship. CSU will match up against undefeated U.C. San Diego (20-0) on Wednesday, May 11. The match is set to get underway at 8:00 a.m.
1. #42 Christophe Noblet (CSU) vs. #5 Paul-Henri Arrigoni (LU) – 3-6, 4-3 unfinished
2. Gordan Divljak (CSU) vs. Henrik Willers (LU) – 6-4, 5-4 unfinished
3. Pasqual Duttlinger (CSU) def. Carol Marques (LU) – 6-1, 6-1
4. Andre Mordhorst (CSU) def. Oscar Perman (LU) - 6-4, 6-4
5. Martin Shishkov (CSU) vs. Oscar Axelsson (LU) – 6-7 (4-7), 1-2 unfinished
6. Olivier Simonet (CSU) vs. Christopher Mattson (LU) – 6-7 (6-7), 0-1 unfinished
1. #7 Noblet and Divljak (CSU) def. Arrigoni and Oscar Perman (LU) – 8-4
2. Filip Cojbasic and Shishkov (CSU) def. Willers and Axelsson (LU) - 8-6
3. Duttlinger and Mordhorst (CSU) def. Marques and Ross Armstrong (LU) - 8-2