No. 9 Cougars Edge Past No. 18 Saint Leo 5-4
Saint Leo, FL – The ninth ranked Columbus State University men's tennis team recorded yet another victory Friday afternoon as they took down 18th ranked Saint Leo 5-4. The match took place at the Saint Leo Tennis Center.
CSU (10-1) took a 2-1 lead after doubles. The Lions got on the board first as Aloua Adjenak and Victor Lozier defeated the sixth ranked Cougar duo of Martin Shishkov and Olivier Simonet 8-2. Gordan Divljak and Quentin Rayniere stayed undefeated on the season Friday as the pair blanked Antoine Raffaelli and Jacobo Gonzalez-Tarrio 8-0 at second doubles. In the deciding match, Michael Trebuhov and Adi Malicbegovic edged past the SLU tandem of Matt Nicholson-Lewis and Jake Fleischer 8-5.
The Lions (8-5) recorded victories at first and second singles. At first singles, 43rd ranked Adjenak defeated 25th ranked Simonet 6-2, 6-4. Divlajak took 27th ranked Lozier to three sets but eventually fell 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 at second singles. Third singles was cut short as Nicholson-Lewis retired after just one game giving Rayniere and the Cougars the victory.
Freshman Oussama Zoghlami moved up to fourth singles for the first time in his career but fell to Gonzalez-Tarrio 7-5, 6-1. Forty-second ranked Shishkov got the Cougars back in the win column at fifth singles winning the match 6-0, 6-2 over Fleischer. Danilo Sardelli again stepped up huge for Columbus State as he won sixth singles 7-5, 6-2 over Raffaelli.
Columbus State will wrap-up a three-game Florida road trip with a conference match against 11th ranked Flagler. The match will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday.
1. #43 Aloua Adjenak (SLU) def. #25 Olivier Simonet (CSU) – 6-2, 6-4
2. #27 Victor Lozier (SLU) def. Gordan Divljak (CSU) - 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
3. Quentin Rayniere (CSU) def. #32 Matt Nicholson-Lewis (SLU) - 1-0 retired
4. Jacobo Gonzalez-Tarrio (SLU) def. Oussama Zoghlami (CSU) - 7-5, 6-1
5. #42 Martin Shishkov (CSU) def. Jake Fleischer (SLU) - 6-0, 6-2
6. Danilo Sardelli (CSU) def. Antoine Raffaelli (SLU) – 7-5, 6-2
1. Adjenak/Lozier (SLU) def. #6 Shishkov/Simonet (CSU) - 8-2
2. Divljak/Rayniere (CSU) def. Raffaelli/Gonzalez-Tarrio (SLU) - 8-0
3. Michael Trebuhov/Adi Malicbegovic (CSU) def. Nicholson-Lewis/Fleischer (SLU) - 8-5