Greenwood, SC – The eighth-ranked Columbus State University men's tennis team dropped just one match against ninth-ranked Lander Saturday afternoon defeating the Bearcats 5-1 in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament semifinals. The match took place at the Joe Cabri Tennis Center in Greenwood, South Carolina.
With the victory, the Cougars advance to its second PBC Tournament Championship match in school history. In 2010, CSU fell 5-1 against Armstrong Atlantic State University. Also, it is the first time in program history that both the men's and women's tennis teams advanced to the finals in the same season as the Lady Cougars defeated Francis Marion 5-0 earlier on Saturday.
Lander (18-4) recorded their only victory of the day at first doubles as Adam Jonsson and Vincent Verpeaux defeated the Cougar duo of Gordan Divljak and Quentin Rayniere. It was the first time this season that the pair of Divljak and Rayniere lost a match. The Cougars got on the board at second doubles when the sixth-ranked tandem of Martin Shishkov and Olivier Simonet took down Oscar Axelsson and Ross Armstrong 9-7. Adi Malicbegovic and Michael Trebuhov won an 8-4 decision at third doubles over Paul-Henri Arrigoni and Samuel Poutignat.
Columbus State (22-2) ended the match by winning at the final three singles positions. Shishkov defeated Poutignat 6-1, 6-0 at fourth singles while Trebuhov took down Diego Zegarra 6-3, 6-0 at the fifth spot. Danilo Sardelli wrapped up the match with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Axelsson at sixth singles.
First, second and third singles were all in the third set of action when play was suspended.
Columbus State will take on top-seeded and ranked Armstrong Sunday morning. The Pirates are the seven time defending PBC Tournament champions. The match will begin at 10:00 a.m.
1. #23 Olivier Simonet (CSU) vs. #41 Vincent Verpeaux (LU) - 1-6, 7-6, 1-2 unfinished
2. #48 Gordan Divljak (CSU) vs. #16 Paul-Henri Arrigoni (LU) - 3-6, 7-5, 4-2 unfinished
3. Quentin Rayniere (CSU) vs. Adam Jonsson (LU) - 6-1, 6-7, 2-3 unfinished
4. Martin Shishkov (CSU) def. Samuel Poutignat (LU) - 6-1, 6-0
5. Michael Trebuhov (CSU) def. Diego Zegarra (LU) - 6-3, 6-0
6. Danilo Sardelli (CSU) def. Oscar Axelsson (LU) - 6-4, 6-4
1. Jonsson/Verpeaux (LU) def. Divljak/Rayniere (CSU) - 8-4
2. #6 Simonet/Shishkov (CSU) def. Axelsson/Ross Armstrong (LU) - 9-7
3. Adi Malicbegovic/Trebuhov (CSU) def. Arrigoni/Poutignat (LU) – 8-4