No. 7 Columbus State Women's Tennis Flies Past Georgia Southwestern
Americus – The seventh ranked Columbus State University women's tennis team lost just five games in singles action as they easily defeated Peach Belt Conference foe Georgia Southwestern 9-0 Sunday afternoon. The match took place at the Susan K. Smith Tennis Complex in Americus, GA.
In doubles action, no Lady Cougar (21-1, 10-1 PBC) duo dropped more than three games as CSU took all three matches. At the top position, Paola Cigui and Milica Tomic had no problem against Carly Cangelosi and Ginny Jones winning their match 8-2. Carolin Weikard and Olivera Jokic won at second doubles 8-3 over Victoria Ondo and Mollie McGowan. In the final doubles match of the day, Renata Paiva and Andrea Redrado defeated Melinda Vansant and Kalie Douberly 8-2.
Cigui improved to 21-0 this season as she won at first singles over Cangelosi 6-0, 6-1. Tomic flew past Douberly at second singles winning the match 6-0, 6-1. At third singles, 49th ranked Weikard blanked McGowan in the first set and lost just one game in the second as she won 6-0, 6-1. Jokic defeated Ondo 6-0, 6-1 at fourth singles.
At fifth singles, Redrado was victorious over Ginny Jones 6-1, 6-0. In the final match of the afternoon, Sandra Jung pitched the shutout against Vansant winning the match 6-0, 6-0.
Columbus State will have a week off before traveling to take on Anderson on Saturday, April 14. The match is set to begin at 2:00 p.m.
1. #10 Paola Cigui (CSU) def. Carly Cangelosi (GSW) - 6-0, 6-1
2. Milica Tomic (CSU) def. Kalie Douberly (GSW) – 6-0, 6-1
3. #49 Carolin Weikard (CSU) def. Mollie McGowan (GSW) - 6-0, 6-1
4. Olivera Jokic (CSU) def. Victoria Ondo (GSW) - 6-0, 6-1
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) def. Ginny Jones (GSW) - 6-1, 6-0
6. Sandra Jung (CSU) def. Melinda Vansant (GSW) - 6-0, 6-0
1. Cigui/Tomic (CSU) def. Cangelosi/Jones (GSW) - 8-2
2. Weikard/Jokic (CSU) def. Ondo/McGowan (GSW) - 8-3
3. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CSU) def. Vansant/Douberly (GSW) - 8-2