No. 7 Columbus State Women's Tennis Flies Into PBC Championship
Greenwood, SC – The seventh ranked Columbus State University women's tennis team defeated 10th ranked Francis Marion 5-0 Saturday morning in the Peach Belt Conference Tournament semifinals. The match took place at the Joe Cabri Tennis Center in Greenwood, South Carolina.
With the victory, the Lady Cougars advanced to their second consecutive PBC Tournament Championship match.
After playing a tight 5-4 match earlier in the season, the Lady Cougars (25-1) swept all three doubles matches from Francis Marion to take an early lead. The first team All-PBC duo of Paola Cigui and Milica Tomic gave CSU a huge lift by edging seventh-ranked Jitka Gavdunova and Mona Blauen 9-8. At second doubles, Carolin Weikard and Olivera Jokic defeated the FMU duo of Tereza Baranova and Julia Graf 8-4. The Lady Cougars recorded their easiest win of the day at third doubles as Renata Paiva and Andrea Redrado took down Caitlin Siney and Kerry Hall 8-3.
Columbus State got their clinching victories at fourth and sixth singles. Jokic continued her great year by defeating Kimberley Hurter 6-1, 6-1 while freshman Sandra Jung lost just one game to Hall on her way to a 6-1, 6-0 victory.
PBC Player of the Year Cigui won the first set at first singles over seventh-ranked Gavdunova and was ahead 3-2 in the second set of play. Forty-ninth ranked Weikard and Redrado were each up a set at third and fifth singles, respectively.
Columbus State will have to knock off eight-time defending PBC Tournament champions Armstrong Atlantic State University in the championship match in order to claim their first conference championship in school history. The title match will begin at 10:00 a.m. at the Joe Cabri Tennis Center in Greenwood.
1. #10 Paola Cigui (CSU) vs. #7 Jitka Gavdunova (FMU) – 6-3, 3-2 unfinished
2. Milica Tomic (CSU) vs. #21 Mona Blauen (FMU) – 2-6, 3-2 unfinished
3. #49 Carolin Weikard (CSU) vs. #38 Tereza Baranova (FMU) – 7-5, unfinished
4. Olivera Jokic (CSU) def. Kimberley Hurter (FMU) - 6-1, 6-1
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) vs. Julia Graf (FMU) – 6-3, 1-3 unfinished
6. Sandra Jung (CSU) def. Kerry Hall (FMU) – 6-1, 6-0
1. Cigui/Tomic (CSU) def. #7 Gavdunova/Blauen (FMU) - 9-8
2. Jokic/Weikard (CSU) def. Baranova/Graf (FMU) - 8-4
3. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CSU) def. Caitlin Siney/Hall (FMU) – 8-3