No. 3 Armstrong Defeats No. 7 Columbus State in PBC Finals
Greenwood, SC – The third-ranked Armstrong Atlantic State University women's tennis team captured its ninth consecutive Peach Belt Conference Tournament title Sunday morning defeating seventh-ranked Columbus State University 5-0. The title match took place at the Joe Cabri Tennis Center in Greenwood, South Carolina.
It was just the second loss of the season for the Lady Cougars as they are now 25-2. Both defeats came at the hands of Armstrong.
The Pirates (23-0) took an overwhelming lead after sweeping play in doubles action. At first doubles, second-ranked Aleksndra Filipovski and Barbora Krtickova took down Paola Cigui and Milica Tomic 8-3. In the closest match, 10th ranked Marlen Hacke and Olga Kalodzitsa edged past Carolin Weikard and Olivera Jokic 8-6 at second doubles. In the final match played, 15th ranked Kathleen Henry and Clara Perez defeated Andrea Redrado and Renata Paiva 8-4.
In singles play, seventh-ranked Filipovski had no trouble with Tomic at second singles defeating the Lady Cougar 6-3, 6-1. The clinching match was won by 30th ranked Perez as she defeated Sandra Jung 6-3, 6-2 at sixth singles.
Columbus State will mostly likely host one of two NCAA Southeast Regionals beginning Saturday, April 28. The full tournament field will be announced on Tuesday, April 24.
1. #10 Paola Cigui (CSU) vs. #4 Barbora Krtickova (Armstrong) – no result
2. #7 Aleksndra Filipovski (Armstrong) def. Milica Tomic (CSU) – 6-3, 6-1
3. #49 Carolin Weikard (CSU) vs. #20 Olga Kalodzitsa (Armstrong) – no result
4. Olivera Jokic (CSU) vs. #23 Kathleen Henry (Armstrong) – no result
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) vs. #24 Marlen Hacke (Armstrong) – no result
6. #30 Clara Perez (Armstrong) def. Sandra Jung (CSU) - 6-3, 6-2
1. #2 Filipovski/Krtickova (Armstrong) def. Cigui/Tomic (CSU) - 8-3
2. #10 Hacke/Kalodzitsa (Armstrong) def. Weikard/Jokic (CSU) - 8-6
3. #15 Henry/Perez (Armstrong) def. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CSU) - 8-4