Columbus – The seventh-ranked Columbus State University women's tennis team used three convincing doubles victories and two dominating singles matches to cruise past 30th ranked Georgia College 5-0 Sunday morning in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The Southeast Region bracket two is being hosted by Columbus State at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center on the campus of CSU.
"I felt like we set the tone in doubles today," said CSU head coach Evan Isaacs. "Georgia College never gave up and kept coming at us to the very end. It was a good test for us to get ready for a tough match tomorrow."
The Lady Cougars (26-2) were dominant all morning long especially in doubles play as no CSU pair lost more than three games. Olivera Jokic and Carolin Weikard got Columbus State on the board first taking down May Johnson and Leah Pridgeon 8-3. Just a minute later, Paola Cigui and Milica Tomic recorded the victory at first doubles defeating Kayla Barksdale and Lisa Setyon-Ortenzio 8-2.
In singles play, Sandra Jung was on top of her game wearing down Lingner at sixth singles. The freshman did not lose a game in the entire match as she defeated Linger 6-0, 6-0. In the clinching match, Redrado took down Pridgeon 6-2, 6-0 at fifth singles.
Tenth-ranked Cigui, 49th ranked Weikard and Jokic all won the first set in their matches while Tomic was up 5-4 in the first set against Setyon-Ortenzio at second singles.
Columbus State will now advance to the regional final tomorrow afternoon taking on 10th ranked Francis Marion. The match will begin at 2:00 p.m.
1. #10 Paola Cigui (CSU) vs. May Johnson (GC) – 6-2, 3-0 unfinished
2. Milica Tomic (CSU) vs. Lisa Setyon-Ortenzio (GC) – 5-4 unfinished
3. #49 Carolin Weikard (CSU) vs. Ivana Marevic (GC) – 6-1, 1-0 unfinished
4. Olivera Jokic (CSU) vs. Kayla Barksdale (GC) - 6-2, 0-1 unfinished
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) def. Leah Pridgeon (GC) – 6-2, 6-0
6. Sandra Jung (CSU) def. Michelle Lingner (GC) – 6-0, 6-0
1. Cigui/Tomic (CSU) def. Barksdale/Setyon-Ortenzio (GC) - 8-2
2. Jokic/Weikard (CSU) def. Johnson/Pridgeon (GC) - 8-3
3. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CSU) def. Marevic/Lingner (GC) – 8-3