Columbus State Women's Tennis Falls to Top-Ranked BYU Hawaii
Louisville, KY – Top-ranked BYU Hawaii won all five matches against seventh-ranked Columbus State University Thursday afternoon as they eliminated the Lady Cougars in the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinal Round. The match took place at the Top Gun Tennis Academy in Louisville, Kentucky.
The Seasiders proved to be too much for the Lady Cougars in double action as they swept all three matches to take a commanding 3-0 lead. BYU Hawaii recorded their first victory of the day at second doubles as the fifth-ranked duo of Yuan Jia and Marietta Tuionetoa lost just one game to 13th ranked Olivera Jokic and Carolin Weikard winning the match 8-1. Sixth-ranked Paola Cigui and Milica Tomic managed to win two games from top-ranked Annie Hwang and Sherry Liu before falling 8-2 at first doubles. At third doubles, Marika Kobayashi and Tanja Rebholz defeated Renata Paiva and Andrea Redrado 8-3.
In singles action, BYU Hawaii (28-0) notched a victory at second singles as fourth-ranked Liu defeated 43rd ranked Tomic 6-1, 6-0. In the clinching match, Rebholz took down Jokic 6-0, 6-1 at fourth singles.
In a top-five showdown, top-ranked Hwang was up a set against fifth-ranked Cigui when play was called. However, Cigui was leading the second set of action 3-1. At third singles, eighth-ranked Jia was leading Weikard 6-0, 5-2 while Kobayaashi was up 6-3, 2-1 against Redrado at fifth singles. At the sixth spot, Tuionetoa won the first set 6-3 over Sandra Jung and was leading the second 3-2.
BYU Hawaii has yet to lose more than two matches this season in dual action. The Seasiders have seven national championships in program history with the last coming in 2007.
The Lady Cougars finished the season with a 28-3 record with all three losses coming against teams that are currently ranked in the top-three in the nation. The 28 wins are also most in program history.
Paola Cigui also had a season to remember for Columbus State as she finished the year with a perfect 23-0 record. She becomes the first player (male or female) in CSU history to finish the season with a perfect record. The sophomore was 4-0 against nationally ranked foes and lost just four sets this season.
1. #5 Paola Cigui (CSU) vs. #1 Annie Hwang (BYUH) – 2-6, 3-1 unfinished
2. #4 Sherry Liu (BYUH) def. #43 Milica Tomic (CSU) – 6-1, 6-0
3. Carolin Weikard (CSU) vs. #8 Yuan Jia (BYUH) – 0-6, 2-5 unfinished
4. Tanja Rebholz (BYUH) def. Olivera Jokic (CSU) – 6-0, 6-1
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) vs. Marika Kobayashi (BYUH) – 3-6, 1-2 unfinished
6. Sandra Jung (CSU) vs. Marietta Tuionetoa (BYUH) – 3-6, 2-3 unfinished
1. #1 Hwangi/Liu (BYUH) def. #6 Cigui/Tomic (CSU) - 8-2
2. #5 Jia/Tuionetoa (BYUH) def. #13 Jokic/Weikard (CSU) - 8-1
3. Kobayashi/Rebholz (BYUH) def. Redrado/Renata Paiva (CSU) – 8-3