No. 6 Lady Cougars Shutout Wingate 5-0 in First Round of NCAA Tournament
Columbus – The sixth-ranked Columbus State University women's tennis team began its quest to return back to the NCAA Tournament Round of 16 on Sunday as the Lady Cougars blanked 49th-ranked Wingate 5-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. The match took place at the Mary V. Blackmon Tennis Center on the campus of CSU.
With the victory, the Lady Cougars advance to the second round of the tournament which will be held on Monday at 2:00 p.m. in Columbus. CSU will square off against either Francis Marion or Erskine.
Columbus State (21-3) dominated doubles losing just six games in all three matches. At first doubles, the seventh-ranked doubles duo of Paola Cigui and Carolin Weikard lost just one game to Ali Evers and Becca Thomas defeating the pair 8-1. After leading just 3-2 at second doubles, Laura Chapman and Olivera Jokic turned their game on winning the final five games to take the match 8-3.
Needing just two victories in singles to advance to its 10th straight NCAA Tournament second round, Columbus State notched wins at first and second singles. No. 44 Weikard was first to be done winning 6-0, 6-2 over Holland at second singles. Second-ranked Cigui was quickly behind her taking down Evers 6-1. 6-2.
In the four unfinished matches, CSU was up a set in all four. Forty-fifth-ranked Jokic was leading Thomas 6-1, 2-1 at third singles while Chapman was up 6-1, 4-1 against Winston at the fourth spot. In the final two matches, Redrado won the first set 6-3 and Paiva took down the Ferguson 6-3 in the first set of action.
1. #2 Paola Cigui (CSU) def. Ali Evers (WU) – 6-1, 6-2
2. #44 Carolin Weikard (CSU) def. Caroline Holland (WU) – 6-0, 6-2
3. #45 Olivera Jokic (CSU) vs. Becca Thomas (WU) – 6-1, 2-1 unfinished
4. Laura Chapman (CSU) vs. Morgan Winston (WU) – 6-1, 4-1 unfinished
5. Andrea Redrado (CSU) vs. Tiffany Williams (WU) – 6-3, 1-2 unfinished
6. Renata Paiva (CSU) vs. Kelli Ferguson (WU) – 6-3, 1-2 unfinished
1. #7 Weikard/Cigui (CSU) def. Evers/Thomas (WU) – 8-1
2. Jokic/Chapman (CSU) def. Ferguson/Winston (WU) – 8-3
3. Redrado/Paiva (CSU) def. Holland/Williams (WU) – 8-2